Notan is a Japanese style of art as a way of looking light and dark; yin and yang; positive and negative. As we move through the elements of art, notan is a great way to see positive and negative space.
Relates to mathematics and reflecting across a horizontal or vertical axis.
1. Start out with a square of paper.
2. Draw a design. Be aware that you'll have to cut out these pieces so don't
make them too small.
3. Make sure you end your design on the same that it begins.
4. Design in halves or 4 quadrants.
5. You can create symmetrical design that will create representational images
such as a sun.
6. After cutting out shapes and your design, reflect them on the opposite axis
and glue in place.